Anita asked during a coach training workshop:
This week if it’s appropriate to address emotion in coaching.
After all, isn’t that stepping too far into a person’s personal space or risking a drift into therapy? Curious, I asked which dimension of the issue she was feeling most concerned about.
Anita replied that she felt anxious about straying into what could feel like a counseling relationship.
If she did, she said, she would feel both out of her How To Manage Your Emotionsbreached a professional boundary.
Business Courses and Training Forums
You can read a lot of books and you can know so much if you cannot do it yourself, it is not worth much.
She had felt compromised
I paused, then asked if it had felt inappropriate when I posed that question to her, or if she had felt compromised in The power of feeling rejected or getting no. She looked up, smiled, and said, ‘No.’
Another coaching workshop and Brian, a colleague, was introducing reflecting back as a core skill.
One participant looked increasingly frustrated and eventually blurted out, ‘You call this a skill but it’s like playing a game with someone, using techniques on them rather than holding a real and respectful conversation.’
Brian listened then responded calmly, ‘So, reflecting back feels to you like toying with someone, and that clashes with your value for authenticity.
’ ‘Yes – that’s it exactly!’
he replied with a burst of positive energy that took everyone in the room by surprise.
After a brief moment, he and everyone else broke out in fits of laughter. ‘OK, now I get it.’
The principle here is that of modeling an idea, an approach, a method, or a technique, rather than simply describing or explaining it.
There’s something about experiencing that can feel profoundly and qualitatively different to understanding a concept purely intellectually. This insight lays at the heart of Gestalt coaching and experiential learning.
It’s primarily about doing.
Not thinking, and seeing what emerges into awareness when we do it.
I worked with a leadership team that agreed on a set of and behaviors to govern its practice. It looked neat on flipchart paper but its potential for transformation didn’t emerge until they grasped the nettle and practiced it.
What have been your best examples of learning by experience? How do you model this principle in your work with others?
Nick Wright is a psychological coach, trainer and organisation development (OD) consultant. (www.nick-wright.com)
Membership_ Alignment on a daily basisFree / year
Forum with Peers: Share experience with likeminded$ 49.95 / month
COVID-19_ Information and How to Cope$ 10.95 / month
How to handle anger and transform it to what you want$ 39.95 / month
How to succeed$ 39.95 / month
Stress Relief: How to deal with stress on a daily basis$ 159.00 / month
Looking for a job: How to get the daily push to find the job$ 129.00 / month
Forum Why Procurement needs Real-time Data$ 129.00 on the 2nd of each month for 8 months with a 7-day free trial
Training Real-Time Data Aggregation Analytics$ 2,135.00 / month for 24 months and a $ 995.00 sign-up fee
- Accessories 11 products
- Bags 1 product
- Build New Habits + Networking 9 products
Business Courses and Coaching
- Chief Business Coaching 1 product
- Business Courses and Training Forums 6 products
- Career Coaching Package 3 products
- Career Coaching Subscription 4 products
- Coaching Subscription 10 products
- E-book 9 products
- Educators First Responders Essential 1 product
- Executive Coaching Package 2 products
- Executive Coaching Subscription 3 products
- Family Coaching 1 product
- Family Coaching Subscription 3 products
- Master Classes Subscription 3 products
- Membership 3 products
- Military Soldier And Veterans Subscription 1 product
- New Entrepreneur Package 1 product
- New Entrepreneur Subscription 1 product
- Personal Courses and Training Forums 12 products
- Professional Business Partner 3 products
- Professional Partner 4 products
- Program 2 products
Real-Time Analytics Training
- Gap-Analysis tool where results counts 2 products
- Retreat Invest In Yourself get tools training and learning 1 product
- Session Package 4 products
- Session Subscription 2 products
- Sessions+Forums+Book 2 products
- Specific Alignment+ Training Forums 11 products
- Student and learning in a fast pace environment subscription 1 product
- Sweaters 2 products
- T-Shirts 5 products
- The Trusted Partners 2 products
- Tools and Templates 4 products